Valero acquired the Pembroke Refinery in Wales from Chevron, along with related marketing and logistics assets throughout the United Kingdom and Ireland, marking the company’s entry into Western Europe under Valero Energy Ltd. The Pembroke plant is one of Western Europe’s largest and most complex refineries, with a total throughput capacity of 270,000 barrels per day, and a Nelson complexity rating of 11.8. The plant employs about 600 people, with roughly 400 contractors.
In addition to the refinery, Valero also purchased ownership interests in four major pipelines and 11 fuel terminals, and acquired a 14,000-barrel-per-day aviation fuels business, and a network of more than 1,000 Texaco-branded wholesale sites, which is the largest branded dealer network in the U.K. and the second-largest in Ireland. In these markets, Valero continued with the Texaco brand, in use in the U.K. since 1916.
Awards & Honors
- Pembroke refinery in 2015 won an Arts and Business Cymru Award in the Arts, Business and Community category, recognizing its involvement with the VC Gallery and Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama
- Winner of the 2013 Valero Chairman’s Safety Award
- Past winner of the Best Employer category of the Modern Apprenticeship Awards for its Young Apprentices Program, an engineering scholarship program; and of the Industry & Power Station category, British Trust for Ornithology Community Award
- A more than 50-year history of community engagement in rural Pembrokeshire in southwest Wales
- Support for extracurricular education, environmental projects and initiatives to promote culture and the arts; members of Arts & Business Cymru and the Welsh National Opera sponsors’ group
- Valero's Ireland operations, in 2014, supported WALK Charity Sports Day, raising funds to help develop a resource center for disadvantaged communities; Valero Charity Golf Tournament benefiting individuals with Down Syndrome and their families; and the Matt Talbot Community Trust, building a children's play area
- Sports development partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, one of the longest-running sports partnerships in the United Kingdom; survey estimated more than 80 percent of county’s primary school children participated
- Active in west Wales in support of thousands of volunteers with groups, clubs and organizations across the region